Some of the best reef fishing to be experienced around Hervey Bay is through the months of May to August!
As we approach the end of Autumn and make our way into the winter months, we traditionally enjoy lighter wind patterns offshore allowing boaties to venture wide to their favourite offshore fishing grounds - timed perfectly as the offshore currents subside.
Combine these favourable weather conditions with ideal currents & large aggregations of reef fish that congregate over the next few months and you'll see that winter certainly is the serious reef fishos play time. All while the sharks numbers (hopefully) subside with the cooling water temperatures.
Top locations of interest
- Southern & Northern Gutters
- Lady Elliot/African Gutter/West of the lightship country
- Break Sea Spit & beyond and down south off Double Island Point across the Wide Bay Bar
You can expect to encounter any of the following species
- Gutters to Lady Elliot: Red emperor, coral trout, sweetlip, nannygai, snapper, reef jacks, Spanish flag, tusk fish, hussar, blue & brown maori cod & gold spot cod.
- Break Sea Spit & Beyond up to 80m: Red Emperor, red throat, reef jacks, gold spot wrasse, pearl perch, snapper, green job fish, hussar, tusk fish & coronation trout.
- Continental Shelf waters 100m: Red emperor, pearlies, Snapper, hussar & job fish.
Make sure you have the correct gear to make the most of this epic time of year.
Fisho’s Reef Fishing Gear Recommendations
1. Light to medium spin combo ideal for hopping soft plastics & vibes
Shimano Stradic or Saragosa SW 6000 spooled with Pe3 braid and matched to a Venom RLFVS12 15-50lb
2. Medium spin combo ideal for bait fishing
Shimano Saragosa 10,000 spooled with 50lb or up to 65lb braid and matched to a custom Wilson Live Fibre Fisho’s Fraser Series 6’6’’ 8-30kg rod.
3. Heavy overhead combo ideal for bait fishing
Shimano Talica 12 or 16 spooled with 65lb or up to 80lb braid and matched to a custom Wilson Live Fibre Fisho’s Fraser Series 6’ 15-30kg rod.
4. Medium jig combo ideal for slow pitch jigging & vibing
Shimano Ocea F Custom 2000HG spooled with Pe3 braid and matched to a Venom Oceans Warrior RVSF2 Pe2 or RVFS4 Pe3 rod.
Tackle – Fisho’s ‘Go To’ Lure Options
Absolutely everything that swims eats this lure!
2. NEW RELEASE Nomad Squidtrex 110, 130 & 150s
Stock is arriving in store soon if you want to secure yours call up or drop in to make pre-orders.
3. Nomad Vertrex Max 110mm & 130mm soft vibes
Ultimate deep water vibing option.
4. Mustad Wingman 80g & 100g & Staggerbod 150g & 200g slow pitch jigs
These are pre-rigged with quality twin assist Mustad hooks top & bottom which increases your hook up rate on reef species.
Tackle for Bait Options
Watch the video explanation by staff member Dane.
Want more advice? Drop in store and have a chat with our friendly team of local anglers. We have a wealth of knowledge that we can share with you for FREE.